In February I went to San Diego for a program to become certified in the StrengthsFinder assessment. StrengthsFinder is an assessment developed by the Gallup organization and I’ve been using it for many years.
The StrengthsFinder measures not strengths, but the presence of talents in 34 general areas, or “themes.” While talents (recurring patterns of thought, feeling, or behavior that can be productively applied) naturally exist within individuals, strengths (the ability to provide consistent, near-perfect performance in a specific task) must be developed and are the product that results when one’s talents are refined with acquired skills and knowledge.
I wanted to take a deeper dive because I believe that developing strength-based organizations is a way that we are going to help our employees be more productive and happy at work and, therefore, build a more successful business.
I have used StrengthsFinder with my individual coaching clients as well as helping teams work together more effectively. As of November 2015, more than 13 million people in more than 50 countries have received a StrengthsFinder talent assessment. The instrument is available in more than 20 languages.
If you would like more information or you would just like to take the assessment, just let me know.
My talents are …
- Woo – People who are especially talented in the Woo theme love the challenge of meeting new people and winning them over. They derive satisfaction from breaking the ice and making a connection with another person.
- Positivity – People who are especially talented in the Positivity theme have an enthusiasm that is contagious. They are upbeat and can get others excited about what they are going to do.
- Empathy – People who are especially talented in the Empathy theme can sense the feelings of other people by imagining themselves in others’ lives or others’ situations.
- Connectedness – People who are especially talented in the Connectedness theme have faith in the links between all things. They believe there are few coincidences and that almost every event has a reason.
- Maximizer – People who are especially talented in the Maximizer theme focus on strengths as a way to stimulate personal and group excellence. They seek to transform something strong into something superb.
What are yours?